Monday, September 15, 2008

Production Process on a Mac

I thought I would blog this in case anyone out there is interested in stop-motion. Here are the programs and equipment I am using for this project. I have to start off by saying everything would have been a lot easier on a PC for a beginner. Luckily, I am a graphic designer and know some design programs to help in the post-production.

For filming:
I used a QuickCam Pro 9000 to take the pictures for the animated or "moving" shots
I used a Canon Powershot digital camera on a macro setting, no flash, for the close up shots
For the video shots I used my cheap digital video camera

For audio:
This would have been a lot easier on a PC. For a PC you can just stick any old microphone in a jack and voila! Instead, Dave from my office used professional audio equipment and the actors recorded their voices in a recording booth.
Sound effects were found on FlashKit or iMovie.

For capturing stop-motion:
There are a lot of great free programs out there for the PC (See brickfilms.com for a list) but not so many for the mac. Instead, I used iStopMotion along with my webcam to capture the stop motion sequences.

For editing:
I am using Flash 8 to add my sound file to the video and overlay the mouth movements. Some of my titles are also in Flash.
Then, I export my Flash files as Quicktime files and import them into the final step, iMovie.
In iMovie, I add the soundtrack and some more sound effects. iMovie also has some transitions I used.

Sound simple? It's not! At least not on my precious mac.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Go PC! Just kidding. I think doing it in flash will give you a lot of flexibility - especially for adding little vector touches on effects, glint's in eyes, that sort of thing. Stop motion is soo labour intensive...my hats off to you for undertaking this.